As the festival THANKSGIVING is approaching I thought why not do a 5 fun facts about it, so here they are:-
- In 1939, President Roosevelt proclaimed that Thanksgiving would take place on November 23rd, not November 30th, as a way to spur economic growth and extend the Christmas shopping season.
- Since 1947, the National Turkey Federation has presented a live turkey and two dressed turkeys to the President. The President does not eat the live turkey. He “pardons” it and allows it to live out its days on a historical farm.
- Sarah Josepha Hale, an American magazine editor, persuaded Abraham Lincoln to declare Thanksgiving a national holiday. She is also the author of the popular nursery rhyme “Mary Had a Little Lamb”. Finally, Abraham Lincoln issued a ‘Thanksgiving Proclamation’ on third October 1863 and officially set aside the last Thursday of November as the national day for Thanksgiving.
- In the US, about 280 million turkeys are sold for the Thanksgiving celebrations.
- The average weight of a turkey purchased at Thanksgiving is 15 pounds.
by Harriet Maxwell Converse
Translated from a traditional Iroquois prayerWe who are here present thank the Great Spirit that we are here to praise Him. We thank Him that He has created men and women, and ordered that these beings shall always be living to multiply the earth. We thank Him for making the earth and giving these beings its products to live on. We thank Him for the water that comes out of the earth and runs for our lands. We thank Him for all the animals on the earth. We thank Him for certain timbers that grow and have fluids coming from them for us all. We thank Him for the branches of the trees that grow shadows for our shelter. We thank Him for the beings that come from the west, the thunder and lightning that water the earth. We thank Him for the light which we call our oldest brother, the sun that works for our good. We thank Him for all the fruits that grow on the trees and vines. We thank Him for his goodness in making the forests, and thank all its trees. We thank Him for the darkness that gives us rest, and for the kind Being of the darkness that gives us light, the moon. We thank Him for the bright spots in the skies that give us signs, the stars. We give Him thanks for our supporters, who had charge of our harvests. We give thanks that the voice of the Great Spirit can still be heard through the words of Ga-ne-o-di-o. We thank the Great Spirit that we have the privilege of this pleasant occasion. We give thanks for the persons who can sing the Great Spirit's music, and hope they will be privileged to continue in his faith. We thank the Great Spirit for all the persons who perform the ceremonies on this occasion.
Hope you guys have an amazing holiday with your friends and family. Have Fun!
Happy Thanksgiving!! 🙂
- an Iroquois Thanksgiving Prayer (growinggracefarm.com)
- A Baltimore Thanksgiving Tradition~ (1019litefm.cbslocal.com)
- Origins of Thanksgiving (oakmonitor.wordpress.com)
- Thanksgiving in the U.S.A: Your Guide to Food, Facts, and Surprising Stats (isepstudyabroad.wordpress.com)
- Thanks God It’s Thanksgiving (marquescorner.wordpress.com)
- Healthy Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe (carlyscleancuisine.wordpress.com)